Mishti Doi, a sweet and creamy yogurt dessert, holds a special place in the hearts of Bengalis and dessert lovers worldwide. Originating from the picturesque land of Bangladesh, this delightful treat is known for its luscious texture and delightful sweetness. While traditionally prepared in earthen pots, we’ll show you a convenient oven method that requires just three simple ingredients. Follow this easy step-by-step guide to create a mouthwatering batch of Mishti Doi right in your own kitchen.
Ingredients: To make this delectable Bengali dessert, you’ll need the following three ingredients:
- Full-Fat Milk: 2 cups
- Sugar: 1/2 cup (adjust to taste)
- Yogurt Starter Culture: 2 tablespoons (can use plain yogurt with live cultures as a substitute)
- Oven-safe containers or ramekins
- Cheesecloth (optional)
Note: Ensure that all utensils and containers are clean and dry to prevent contamination during the fermentation process.
- Preheat Your Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Boil the Milk:
- Pour the full-fat milk into a saucepan and bring it to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Stir the milk occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add Sugar:
- Gradually add the sugar to the simmering milk and stir until it dissolves completely.
- Allow the sweetened milk to cool down to around 45-50°C (113-122°F). Use a thermometer for accuracy.
- Add Yogurt Culture:
- Once the milk has cooled to the desired temperature, add the yogurt starter culture (or plain yogurt with live cultures) and whisk it thoroughly. This will help initiate the fermentation process.
- Pour into Oven-Safe Containers:
- Pour the sweetened milk mixture into oven-safe containers or ramekins.
- Bake in the Oven:
- Place the filled containers in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 3-4 hours or until the Mishti Doi sets and achieves a creamy, custard-like consistency. You can check the doneness by gently jiggling the containers; it should wobble slightly but not be liquidy.
- Cool and Refrigerate:
- Allow the Mishti Doi to cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate it for a few hours or overnight to enhance its flavor and chill it to your desired serving temperature.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Once chilled, serve your homemade Mishti Doi and savor the sweet taste of Bangladesh right in your own home.
Making Mishti Doi in the oven with just three simple ingredients is a delightful way to enjoy this beloved Bangladeshi dessert. With its creamy texture and sweet taste, it’s sure to become a favorite in your household. Give it a try and experience the flavors of Bangladesh in every spoonful.
For further Inquires Contact Us.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Mishti Doi:
1. What is Mishti Doi?
- Mishti Doi is a delightful Bengali dessert made from sweetened, thickened yogurt. It’s known for its creamy texture and sweet flavor.
2. Is Mishti Doi the same as regular yogurt?
- No, Mishti Doi is sweeter and creamier than regular yogurt. It’s traditionally made with full-fat milk and sugar.
3. Can I make Mishti Doi at home?
- Absolutely! Our guide provides an easy oven-based recipe with just three ingredients for homemade Mishti Doi.
4. What are the key ingredients for Mishti Doi?
- You’ll need full-fat milk, sugar, and a yogurt starter culture (or plain yogurt with live cultures).
5. How long does it take to make Mishti Doi?
- It typically takes 3-4 hours to bake Mishti Doi in the oven, followed by some cooling and refrigeration time.