Kuih Sago, a beloved Malaysian dessert, is a delightful treat made from sago pearls, coconut milk, and pandan leaves. This sweet and chewy dessert is a favorite at festive gatherings and tea-time snacks. The best part? You can whip up this Malaysian classic in just 30 minutes. Follow our easy recipe to create the heavenly Kuih Sago and savor the flavors of Malaysia in every bite.
Ingredients: To make this quick and delicious Kuih Sago, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Sago Pearls: 1 cup
- Coconut Milk: 1 cup
- Palm Sugar (Gula Melaka): 1/2 cup (grated)
- Pandan Leaves: 2-3 leaves (tied into a knot)
- Salt: A pinch
- Water: 1 cup
- Steaming tray or mold
- Mixing bowl
- Sieve or strainer
- Rinse the Sago Pearls:
- Wash the sago pearls thoroughly under running water in a sieve or strainer. Rinse until the water runs clear.
- Steam the Sago Pearls:
- Place the rinsed sago pearls in a steaming tray or mold.
- Steam them over boiling water for approximately 15-20 minutes or until the pearls turn translucent and soft.
- Prepare the Coconut Sauce:
- In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk, grated palm sugar, knotted pandan leaves, and a pinch of salt.
- Heat the mixture over low-medium heat, stirring until the palm sugar dissolves completely. Do not boil.
- Combine Sago Pearls and Coconut Sauce:
- Once the sago pearls are steamed and soft, transfer them to a mixing bowl.
- Pour the warm coconut sauce over the sago pearls and gently stir to combine. The mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Set and Cut:
- Pour the combined mixture into a shallow tray or mold, smoothing it out evenly.
- Allow it to cool and set at room temperature or in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes.
- Cut and Serve:
- Once the Kuih Sago has set, cut it into squares or your preferred shapes.
- Enjoy Your Kuih Sago:
- Serve the sweet and chewy Kuih Sago as a delightful Malaysian dessert or snack.
With its simplicity and delightful taste, Kuih Sago is a beloved Malaysian dessert that’s perfect for satisfying your sweet cravings. This quick 30-minute recipe allows you to enjoy the flavors of Malaysia without a lengthy preparation process. Try it out and share the joy of Kuih Sago with family and friends.
For further inquires Contact Us.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Kuih Sago:
1. What is Kuih Sago?
- Kuih Sago is a traditional Malaysian dessert made from sago pearls, coconut milk, and palm sugar. It’s known for its sweet and chewy texture.
2. Where can I find sago pearls for this recipe?
- Sago pearls are available in many grocery stores, particularly in the Asian or international food sections.
3. Can I use canned coconut milk for this recipe?
- Yes, you can use canned or fresh coconut milk, depending on your preference.
4. What is pandan leaves, and can I substitute it?
- Pandan leaves add fragrance. If unavailable, you can use pandan essence or omit it for a slightly different flavor.
5. How do I know when sago pearls are fully steamed?
- Sago pearls turn translucent and soft when fully steamed. It usually takes 15-20 minutes.